7.27.2006

Yeah yeah yeah

Ok, I suppose I should post a new one. Awesome song: Hysteria by Muse. Its on their myspace. And my myspace. Check it out. Speaking of myspace, I put up a new background picture. It's pretty sweet. If you read this a lot, you'll probably recognize it. Lets see. I have band practice tonite. I think we might try playing that song. And I went to guitar center yesterday and saw the amp I wanna get. It's pretty sweet. Judging by the reviews, though, I might have to get new speakers for it. ARgh! Myspace is bein weirdd...
Oh well. I should post a couple more pictures.

I like big knives and i cannot lie...

Boats

Woohoo. Oh yeah, you need to analyze my eagle write up so far. Its not quite done, but here's what I have.

Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook

Scout's name: Dan Kristan

Address: 2100 Meadow Brook Drive, West Des Moines, Iowa, 50265

Telephone No: (515) 267-1236

Unit No: Troop 280

District: Raccoon River Valley

Local council: Mid-Iowa Council

Unit leader's name: Brian Helland

Address: 1602 Marcourt Lane, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266

Telephone No.: (515) 224-5990

Unit advancement committee person's name: Rick Wood

Address: 328 31st Street, West Des Moines, Iowa 50265

Telephone No: 223-0399


PROJECT DESCRIPTION

Describe the project you plan to do.

I am going to do some landscaping work for Stilwell Junior High School. There is currently a patch of grass where I am planning to work, but it is dying because it is exposed to a lot of sun. Behind the grass is a wall with some unsightly plumbing and mechanical equipment. After the project is finished, the equipment will be hidden by some large bushes. First of all, I am going to remove the sod, and till the soil. Next, I will use some structure and till it in so the dirt is more like clay. I will then plant 2 Hearty Hibiscus, plants. 3 Burning Bushes, and 2 Miss Kimm plants. The Miss Kimm will hide the pipes mentioned earlier. After everything is planted, I will put edger blocks around the outside of the area where the work was done. I will then put down mulch around the plants inside the area surrounded by the edger blocks. I will water everything, and continue to water it every day or two.

What group will benefit from the project?

Name of religious institution, school, or community: Stilwell Junior High School

Telephone No: (515) 633-6000

Street address: 1601 Vine Street

City: West Des Moines

State: Iowa

Zip code: 50265

My project will be of benefit to the group because:

It will beautify an area of the school, and it will hide some unsightly pipes.

This concept was discussed with my unit leader on (Date):

The project concept was discussed with the following representative of the group that will benefit from the project.

Representative's name: Tim Miller

Representative’s Title: Principal

Phone No: 633-6000

Date of meeting: 6/5/06


PROJECT DETAILS

Plan your work by describing the present condition, the method, materials to be used, project helpers, and a time schedule for carrying out the project. Describe any safety hazards you might face, and explain how you will ensure the safety of those carrying out the project.

If appropriate, include photographs of the area before you begin your project. Providing before-and-after photographs of your project area can give a clear example of your effort.

Description:

The first thing I am going to need to do is to raise some money for the project. The current budget is approximately $620. Mr. Miller, the principal at Stilwell, is going to supply half of that from the school budget. That leaves me with the rest. I am planning to do a carwash at the Kmart here in West Des Moines (10331 University Ave., Clive, Ia, 50325, 515-222-0868). I talked to a friend of mine, Nick Jacques, who is an eagle scout, and has helped with car washes for the troop in the past. He told me that we would probably need about 8 people, and if it was a good day, we might be able to make the $310 we need in one shot. If not, we will schedule another one. If we have any extra money, I will donate it to the troop fund. I am going to call the manager at Kmart to schedule a carwash as soon as I can after my project is approved. I think we will probably wash cars for about 3 or 4 hours, hopefully on a nice sunny afternoon. Car washes will be $5. Nick told me that Kmart will let us use their hose for the water supply, but we will need to supply soap, car wash mitts, buckets, and anything else we might need. I am going to announce the car wash at a troop meeting, as well as send out an email. Attendance has usually been pretty good when volunteer opportunities like this arise in our troop, so hopefully I will have enough guys for the job.

After we get the money we need, we will buy, rent, or borrow everything we need for the first day of work. This will include the sod remover and the tiller. Our eagle advisor, Ernie Steward, said that he has a tiller we can use. That just leaves us with the sod remover. I did some research, and the cheapest sod cutter we found was $86 per day at Home Depot. This is probably what we are going to use. After we remove the sod, we will till the structure into the soil. We will probably only need 3 or 4 people for this day, including one adult.

The next day, we will plant the Hearty Hibiscus, Burning Bush, and Miss Kimm plants. We will dig holes where we want the plants to go, then we will fill in the space around the holes. For this day, we will need the plants, obviously, and also shovels. I am going to ask whoever volunteers to bring shovels. If we have time, we will also lay the edger blocks that day. We will probably need about 7 people, or one for each plant. This number includes at least one adult.

The third, and last day, we will lay the edger blocks, if we haven’t done so yet, and we will put in the mulch. We will probably have a large pile nearby and bring it over in wheelbarrows or with shovels. The mulch is the largest part of the budget….

We will need about 10 people for this day, including a couple of adults.

For each day, we will have plenty of bottled water for everybody, and on the last day, depending on how much extra money we make at the car wash, we might have pizza.

Yep.

Thats it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uummmm...can i have a burning bush?
p.s. is the Miss Kimm plant real? cuz it sounds like a joke but i don't get it :(

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home